Home About Me My Classroom My Products TeachersPayTeachers Instagram Facebook Pinterest Image Map

Sunday, April 23, 2017

My Start with Flexible Seating

So towards the end of last year after asking my principal if I could move from regular desks and chairs to tables, my principal put it into my head to try out some flexible seating.

I read many articles and even followed many posts on FB and IG of teachers that were using flexible seating.  Unfortunately, we did not have the money to move my classroom to a flexible seating one.  Many items are not cheap!  Well, you don't know this about me but, I once I have something set in my mind, I am determined to make it work.

We scavenged tables from school buildings that were closing, so that was pretty much covered!  Next, how was I going to get what I wanted for seating.

That is when I finally decided to look into DonorsChoose.org!  An organization that connects donors with classrooms in need.  Of course I jumped in full steam ahead!  Even though they suggested that projects be under a certain amount, I made a project more than double that!  DonorsChoose was not easy exactly.  I spent many hours and dollars entering contests for DonorsChoose gift cards.  And all during my family summer RV vacation out West.  Yes they were not thrilled with me some days with the amount of time I spent on my phone or computer in the evenings.

With some luck I was able to get that project fulfilled and a few more with many donations from some interesting people, major corporations, foundations, friends, and family.

Now..... my room is decked out!  I have bean bag chairs, wobbles stools (two different styles), ball chairs on wheels, desk chairs on wheels, Zenergy chairs, a bench at a low table, cube seats, and I am sure I am forgetting something!  How do my students like the seating?  They love it! Has it changed how they work and their focus on learning?  I am not fully sure since we began the year this way and I do not have anything to compare it to with this class.  For evidence like that I should have started out the year with regular desks and chairs and then switched to the new items to see the difference.  What I do know is that our class is a community, students are eager to get to the classroom in the morning to choose their seat, we respect one another, choose our seats wisely, and for the most part my students are engaged! I'd say thats a good thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment